kingBIRD: Butterfly Valley: Permanent Installation III

Making the plaster moulds





Foam board, pins, plastic, water and plaster. It's all I need. I'm a simple girl. Well, some time, good judgement and a little patience helps too.





Between the picture above and below, something funny happened, but I was alone so I couldn't catch it on camera. When I say funny, I'm using irony, or it is true in that manner - it would have been fun for you! And for me; less entertaining! I was making plaster moulds. Plaster moulds are a great tool for clay. You can press the clay into the plaster mould and it picks up every detail from the mould and the clay releases very easily from the plaster surface without sticking to it.

But making these moulds can be a bit of a nightmare for some of us. I do have some friends who really enjoy plaster work and make the most elaborated and truly amazing looking moulds. I don't hope they read this post and see these moulds. But the thing is; I'm the true genius of course, why spend more time than necessary on some moulds that are only going to be used a few times? (And I haven't - only fools get trapped by tools ;-). Of course, this is not true at all, but in this case there are more important things to spend time on during the whole process, and time is an issue for this project, so I really have to make some shortcuts which make function beautiful.

But back to the fun, what you missed out on (and the reason why the camera was banned from the scene) was me and 40 litre of plaster dancing round in the studio. While I was trying to persuade it to stay in the right place until it had set, without me being trapped into the big bloc of plaster as well. I did text a friend (just so someone actually knew about this big drama that was going on) to tell him that I was contemplating on the possible outcomes on pouring big amounts of plaster into card board boxes;
  1. Would be a very brilliant and time saving idea leaving no cleaning
  2. Or would it leave me scraping hardened plaster of the floor for hundreds hours
He just answered dryly; if it was him he would choose a very stable box for the job!? He's a sensible guy. And I was happy to answer him the next day, when he asked about the cardboard box and the plaster, that two butterfly moulds was waiting for me!



No comments:

Post a Comment